Sunday, May 29, 2011

Anticipation

Today I officially found out my teaching position: Grade 2. Until now I feel like I have just been waiting on information. I have sent in my paperwork, and I am waiting to get it back from the UAE Embassy. I was waiting for final news on my teaching assignment, after choosing Grade 2 over Grade 1. I still am unsure of all of the steps to follow, but having my teaching assignment means that I can start to get some supplies together and plan out the curriculum.

For those of you who do not know all of the details, I heard about the Canadian International School (CIS) in Abu Dhabi from my friend Caitlin, who has worked there with her husband Steve for the past 2 years. Steve is my friend Jenn's brother and that is how I met both of them.

Caitlin told me about how she loves teaching there and suggested I apply. Before I knew it I had an interview (in March, I think) and about a week later I was offered a position. With great excitement, I accepted!

On the map you can see that the United Arab Emirates is just by Saudi Arabia. Abu Dhabi is the capital of the UAE.

There has been a lot of learning going on already. I know that the school is Canadian, with the Alberta curriculum. My time there will count towards my permanent teaching certification, which is awesome, especially considering the job prospects, or lack therof, in Alberta these days. The school consists of students from 56 ish different countries. I understand that most of the students come from wealthy families and can speak a number of languages even. I also know that my living expenses will be covered and my salary will be tax free. All of the teachers live together in an apartment complex, where we will each have our own apartment (yay!). I have seen some pictures from Caitlin, and everything seems pretty nice.

There is not much else that I knew, signing up. I did meet with Caitlin over Christmas and talked about more detailed things, but it is hard to imagine exactly what it will be like. She will be my mentor while I am there and as I get ready to go, which is great! I know that she and Steve attend a church in Abu Dhabi as well, and I am hoping that I will be able to attend and making friends with other Christians in the predominantly Muslim community. It will be nice to have friends outside of school too.

If you've made it through this long post, then you must be interested. Woo hoo! I will continue to update as I get ready to go, and while I am there. Feel free to shoot some advice and questions my way throughout.

Thanks for following!

Here is a video that I received with information about the school and Abu Dhabi.

No comments:

Post a Comment