Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Isn't it Ironic, don't you think?

I just realized that I have been neglecting my fans! haha. fans.

I will start with informing you about how Halloween is "not" celebrated at our school. We are "not allowed" to say Halloween or to use jock-or-lanterns or witches in our decorations, projects, stories, etc. Apparently these things are offensive to our majority Muslim population. We do not celebrate Halloween, but we do have a Fall Festival.

With this understanding, I sadly accept that I cannot make my classroom into a haunted house like we did when I was in Grade 2 (Shout out to Mrs. Kees!). Then, I walk down the hall to see jack-o-lanterns and witches gallore, especially outside of the art room. I continue to the room of the parent council where I find a massive jack-o-lantern made out of wood. ummmm.... I thought it would offend parents to celebrate Halloween. ok.

Anyways, I was pretty excited for Fall Festival. We were allowed to dress up, but not as witches, of course. I went as Jessie the yodelling cowgirl, while the school counselor dressed as Woody. We were up late making our costumes the night before. They were pretty awesome if I may say so myself.

Let's get to the point. The Fall Festival is hypocrisy at its greatest. There were 2 blow-up bouncy castle slide things, cotton candy, face painting, costume parade and contest, and even a fire blower.  Parents each brought a dish and there was a giant potluck buffet too! To top it all off, students paid money to charity to throw wet sponges at their teachers (including me!). Kids and parents were dressed up in every costume you could imagine. They even had a fwe of the teachers dressed as a 'candy man'. They wore white robes covered in candy and ran through the courtyard as children tackled them and ripped candy off.

Needless to say, this was the most intense Halloween party I have ever been to.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha I cannot imagine what it would have been like to be the "candy man". You'd be eaten alive!!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool!
    There was your party for the lcak of "The House of Cool" Halloween Party.

    ReplyDelete