Day 1 - December 16, 2012 - Sunday
Prague
I left Abu Dhabi at 12:30 at night, dropped off pearl ( our beloved car), stopped in at Istanbul, and made it to the hostel in Prague around 12:30am. That means 15 hours of travel and maybe 2-3 broken hours of sleep in there, so tired!
Thankfully, Prague is beautiful and cold so that keeps me moving. The Mosaic Inn is pretty cool so far ( only $10 for 2 nights!). Today I wondered down to the river. I saw the Emaizy Monastery and Vysehrad ( big church, cemetery and viewpoint).
There was a little Christmas market at Vysehrad, complete with nativity scene. I tried some hot apple cider and Klobasa. Yum! They like the meat and potatoes here. Then I wandered up to the National Mueseum and Wencelas Square where I enjoyed a Christmas concert by a string quartet before returning back to the hostel for an early bedtime to rest up for a full day of travel for tomorrow!
Day 1 Highlights - Wow! Prague is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen! Teh builsings are incredible and clearly well taken care of.
Day 2 - December 17, 2012 - Monday
Prague, Czech Republic
Prague is so beautiful and I wish I could stay here longer. I would definately come back here. My day today looked like this:
- breakfast at the bagel place down the street
- Walking tour (free) 10:20 - went to old town and saw an old gate then some churches and the cool astronocial clock that hsa the 12 disciples on the hour. We saw the Jewish quarters, the best preserved in Europe because Hitler wanted to save it as a museum. We saw the Jewish graveyard where they were forced to bury people on top of each other. We also saw signs from communism and learned about how they used to throw people out windoes. Czech is 60% agnostic but there was still an awesome Christmas market in the old town square. From there we saw Charles Bridge.
- I went for lunch at Flint (mmm, goulash).
- Then I briefly saw Praque castle before it closed at 4:00. I did not have time to do a tour or go inside but I did see some guard changing- cool!
- I explored the Christmas market and got my 2 souvenirs (earrings and magnet) and tried some yummy food.
- I walked around, lsot my map, saw the state Opera House and watch an Opera show at the cloud level in the National Theatre for only $6! I kept falling asleep and the girl beside me seemed afraid, lol.
Frankfurt, Germany
Tuesday
I travelled to Frankfurt by bus.train with DB Bahn and made the close connection to sit on the hotel bed where I could see the sidewalk and Lisa approaching. She showed up a bit late, but in one piece and the dun began.
Wednesday
We spent 8 hours at the awesome Frankfurt Christmas market. We saw the My Ziel mall, with Europe's longest free-standing escalator, we climbed the stairs up to the top of the Dom (the church that was one of the only buildings left after they Ally bombings). We ventured around the Christmas market for hours seeing lights and crafts, toys and foos. We tried some bratwurst, paprikawurst, apple wine, and long candies. We also ate a giant pretzel covered in chocolate. Yum! The market really came alive at night when the lights were all on and the band played from one of the balconies above. yay Christmas!
Day 5 - December 20 - Thursday
Nuremberg, Germany
So, like all good North Americans, we went to Starbucks for some comfort and relaxation. We enjoyed the expensive drinks and free internet and decided to head to Budapest now rather than later. With tickets bought we could finally relax and take in the Christmas market of Nuremberg.
We bgean with a self-directed walking tour. It turns out there is a lot to see in Nuremberg and white it was a Nazi rally site, it was also the place of the Nuremberg trials (shocking, I know). We also hiked up our second German tour to get a great view of the city and warm up.
We enjoyed the Christmas markets for a few hours, with gluwein, gingerbread, special thin Nuremberg bratwursts and kitchen witches. It was much colder then the previous night but we stayed out until 7 (crazy!). It turns out that walking all day in the freezing cold can really take it out of you. Yay Nuremberg!
Day 6 - December 21 - Friday
Travel to Budapest
We got up at 5:30 and left Nuremberg to head to Budapest on our overly expensive train ride (170 Euros each!). We were to switch trains in LInz, Austria but we got off one stop too early in Wells! So sad! I guess we were both just too comfortable with travelling and did not take any precautions. We waited there and then caught the next train to Linz where we had 2 hours to wait instead of 10 min. This turned out to be wuite the blessing in disguise because I finally got to see a little bit of Austria. I ran outside and down the street down to the Christmas market where I got some salty corn dog things (Knapperwurst). Then we were on our way to Budapest.
Unfortunately, we lost ouf reserved seats on the train when we missed the train. We spent the whole 5 hours playing musical chairs, switching seats trying to find a spot to sit before someone else came to yell at us. I ended up sitting on the floor at the back of the train for a while, lol.
Finally we got to Budapest where we were met by a Dad and his 2 sons who showed us around their Air BnB place. Success!
Day 7 - December 22 - Saturday
Budapest, Hungary
We spent the first morning in our apartment planning the rest of our trip so that we could avoid the chaos that was our last few days. It turns out that it is just way too busy and hard to get around Eastern Europe, especially during Christmas. We ended up booking flights and trains randomly around Eastern Europe to save time and money. Budapest - fly - Kiev - train - Lviv - fly - Venice - fly - Cluj Napoca - train - Budapest. It took many hours to get it all sorted out but it was nice to have it done so we could relax and enjoy our surroundings.
We went out to explore the town a bit afterwards. We tried to buy some OPera tickets but they were all sold out and we looked around the city a bit but ended up hanging out at the awesome Christmas Market for a few hours. It is not too different than the ones we saw in germany but the things to buy were a bit fancier and really good quality handicrafts. There were porcelains, leathers, furs, felted hats, baking, and loads of good food. We enjoyed some saudage and potatoes before heading home.
Day 8 - December 23 - Sunday
Budapest, Hungary
Sarah started at St.Stephen's and we moved past some old buildings and the University of Science to the Buda side of the city. We crossed Elisabeth bride (rebuilt) and waked up the hill towards the fisherman's bastion. It was such a magical place, especially with the snow falling on it. It looked like a Disney castle with Matthais Church in the background all lit up. We could see the Pest side of the city across the river, the amazing Parliament building, and the Elisabeth Bridge all lit up.
Our walking tour ended at the Holiday Inn and we walked arounf the area a bit more to take in the view and take some pictures. From there we walked back to St. Stephen's and the Christmas market where we bought souvenirs for our families and ourselves. I got leather for me and Michelle, pictures for me and Derek and a magnet and keychain for Santoush at school. What an awesome day in beauitful Budapest!
Day 9 - December 24 - Monday
Budapest, Hungary
We started Christmas Eve by planning our day and it included LIsa buying tickets for us to see the Nutcracker at the State Opera house on Christmas! Such a nice gift!
We went back to St.Stephen's Basilica and decided to go inside. The Church was amazing and I had a full heart moment (as Mackenzie would say) as I saw the nativity scene and the figure of Jesus standing at the front all lit up. Wow!
We headed back to the apartment where we met Hadley (our BnB host) and her family on their way out to family Christmas celebrations.
It took a while to light the gas stove and oven but we managed to have some very juicy chicken and veggies for supper. We also had poppyseed cake a Kozma gingerbread for dessert! Along with It's a Wonderful Life it was a pretty perfect Christmas Eve in Hungary.
Day 10 - December 25 - Christmas Day - Tuesday
Budapest, Hungary
Merry Christmas!
Afterwards we wanted to go skating so we walked up the main street to the city park. We were very hungry, though, so we stopped for lunch at a nasty, microwaved-food roadside stand. Mmm. Apparently not much is open in Budapest on Christmas day. It turned out that skating was closed until 4:00 so we just ended up walking around some of the sweet old buildings in the park and taking pictures. Then we headed home to get in some Skype time with our families. A highlight for me was receiving a picture of my family around the Christmas tree in BC with a sign that sais "we love and miss you". It was also awesome to see Mom open her gift from us kids, a trip to Vegas. Merry Christmas!
Day 11 - December 26 - Wednesday
Budapest - Kiev
After days of travelling alone it was good to meet and talk to some new people (teachers too!). We headed back to the hostel quickly before carrying on to see some of the town while it was still warm (freak warm spell that turned all of the snow to a giant slushy mess).
We walked down the big main street past Independence Square all the way to the big rainbow and back. Fun Day!
Day 12 - December 27 - Thursday
Kiev, Ukraine
Day 13 - December 28 - Friday
Kiev, Ukraine
Lastnight we headed with the couple to the big supermarket where we bought food for our long train journey ahead. All of that slush had turned to ice and the roads and sidewalks were super slippery and skecthy. There were taped off areas where giant icicles were trying to fall and kill people. It was like nothing I have ever seen. Intense winter in the Ukraine.
We got up early and walked our way through the underground Russian markets to the confusing metro which led us to the confusing train station. Eastern Ukrain is very soviet and hard to get around.We managed to find our train and board it just in time for the 8 hour journey to Lviv.
The train ride was actually enjoyable with a cute kid and nice lady sharing our car. We got to Lviv and it took almost 2 hours to find the Lviv Euro Hostel. Apparently we can't follow directions. Thankfully, many nice people (7 in all) stopped to help us out and we found our way. We were amazed by the helpful people and beautiful city with modern ammenities. It was a whole new world compared to Kiev.
We went out and walked around the town that night where we saw that there was still a Christmas marhet going on (Christmas is on Jan 7 there) and there were many awesome souvenirs to be had. We also went for dinner to Puzata again and it did not disappoint! Yay for the second Christmas in Ukraine!
Day 14 - December 29 - Saturday
Lviv, Ukraine
After our tour we ate some lunch at the Grand Hotel where I discovered a love for real Hot Chocoalte and sour cherry perogies. Yum!
Next we decided to do a bit of shopping. We went quickly through the craft market before it closed and I was able to get some more socks for Michelle as well as a magnet. Then we headed to our Opera Show - The Haunted Manor. The Opera was four acts and lasted from 6pm-10pm, and it was in Ukrainian, with no subtitles! At each intermission we thought it might be over. It was fairly entertaining, although probably the most random show I've seen. We definately got our money's worth before heading back to the hostel from some well deserved zzzzzz's.
Day 15 - December 30 - Sunday
Lviv, Ukraine
Day of random awesomeness in Lviv!
Day 16 - December 31 - Monday
Lviv to Venice
We boarded our crazy Wizz air flight which turned out to be much more civil than the last one (minus all the pushing).
Treviso was nice and warm when we arrived (+10) and we were feeling energized. We showered and cleaned up before heading to explore Treviso by foot. Lisa even wore sandals which was clearly shocking to the locals who stopped to stare like crazy. We wandered down to the square where New Years would be and most of the shops and restaurants were closed! The town is beautiful, and much like Venice with the canals, but it was a bit smelly and the only place we could find to eat some lunch was McDonalds. Tear!
Day 17 - January 1, 2013 - Tuesday
Venice to Cluj Napoca
We got to Cluj and had an awkward encounter with an old Romanian man who insisted on talking to us and touching me even though we clearly had no idea what he was saying. Needless to say, after about 10 min of that we decided to take a taxi. This was not a good day for public transportation.
When we got to the Transylvania Hostel there were a lot of people there and we headed out for supper to a cute restaurant under the mall where they had awesome pottery. I had pork and beans with fresh bread! Yum! What a great meal!
Day 18 - January 2 - WednesdayCluj Napoca, Romania
We slept in and left the hostel around 10:30 to explore the salt mine near Turda. UNfortunately we could not go on a caslt tour because Jan 2 is a holiday in Romania. Sad day! We did manage to get to the salt mines on the bus ok and it was fun to explore them for a couple of hours. The air inside is supposed to be good to breathe for your lungs and colds and such. They turned the inside of the mine into an amusement park complete with a ferris wheel, mini-golf, ping-pong, and boats! There was even a little amphitheatre down there. It was pretty crazy to see!
Day 19 - January 3 - Thursday
Cluj-Budapest
We woke up early (seeing a trend yet) to head to the train station. It was sad to leave Cluj so soon because everything was closed and we did not get to see the dracula castles. HOwever, Budapest and the flight home awaited.
We got to Budapest and had the fun ask of buying a stamp so I could send a postcard. The lady was very unhappy that I spoke English and when I was 15 forints short she nearly ripped my head off! The Hungarian people were ruled for too long under the Soviets, it seems.
We finally made our way back to the air bnb place and we were about half an hour late but the lady was very nice. We got ourselces sorted out and then headed out.
First stop, Hungarian Pizza. We stopped at the metro for some Langos (which was huge) then headed to the Opera to get tickets. Following the trend, however, the tickets for the next week were all sold out! Now, though, we had plenty of time to relax at the Hungarian bath. It was pretty crazy, with steamy outdoor pools, fountains, jets, and even a whirlpool! Pretty fun! It was not the cleanest place and a deposit to rent a towel cost a small fortune, but it was definately a worthwhile experience.
That night we wandered up to see the Parliament building. It was under construction and we couldn't get up fron to take a close pic, but it was nice to be down by the river to see the fisherman's bastion across the water and the Elizabeth bridge.
That night I enjoyed some cherry Coke and Lisa and I got souvenirs ready and did some picture trading. It was a great day to end an awesome and blessed trip with a great, old friend!
Lessons Learned
Travelling is so awesome because it is the best way to learn more about other cultures, and in turn more about myself. These are a few things I learned in Eastern Europe:
- My life in Abu Dhabi is pretty posh. Everyone speaks English, I have all the services I need, and my job is fantastic. Not to mention my community. I am super blessed!
- Eastern Europe was much more affected by WWII than I realized. It was very sad to be reminded of the terrible genocide that took place.
- Comunism really shaped Eastern Europe and had an awful hold on those countries for much longer then I had ever realized.
- It is great to have a history and be blessed enough to see some of it (Hungary).
- Being busy and travelling everyday makes me remember how much I need my down time to just be quiet and still.
Really enjoyed reading about your adventures in eastern Europe! I too would be rather stunned at the relics of WW2 still prevalent.
ReplyDeleteSure makes one appreciate what we have in a Western society.
Thanks Laura!
Love Mam