I was pretty excited about the idea of getting to Abu Dhabi and setting up my little apartment. I have never lived on my own and had all of that living space to myself. But....be careful what you wish for.
The first part of my voyage started at the Edmonton airport where Michelle, Derek, and Kelly came to help me with my bags and see me off. I emailed the other 5 teachers leaving from Edmonton, and told them what I look like so that we could meet at the gate before we left. There was 1 married couple, and 4 of us single girls. When we got to the airport, we noticed that it seemed like there were other teachers meeting at the doors before checking in. I thought maybe they were friends or family, though, and so I decided to stick with the plan of meeting them all at the gate.
I had the sad farewell at security, and when I got to the gate I met the married couple. They seem really nice. Then, the other girls came through and told me that they met my “sisters” (Michelle and Kelly, lol). They seemed pretty nice too and it was interesting to find out where everyone was coming from.
From there we boarded the Westjet flight to Toronto. The couple changed seats so that they could have the exit row, and the other 3 girls moved seats to sit together, leaving me by my lonesome. It was kind of nice to have the extra space, but as I could hear them chatting away it seemed to me that they knew each other. I later found that they have been talking for weeks. I wondered why I had been left out of the loop, but I figured there were still others meeting us in Toronto.
We got to Toronto, and by the time we went through security, and paid for our baggage again, we barely had enough time to eat before getting on the plane. I was advised to download this thing called witopia, which apparently gives me access to Canadian and American websites for $60 a year. Now I can watch those tv shows, or access those blocked sights more easily. I did that, and grabbed food, but I didn’t even have time to eat before boarding the plane. Woah! Good thing Mom didn’t come all the way to the airport just to find that I didn’t have time to visit.
I was seated in row 53 of 55 on the Etihad plane. I was told that the airline was really nice compared to Westjet or others, but I was disappointed by the limited space at my seat. Since I was so far back in the plane, I had a window seat and there were only 2 seats instead of the usual 3. However, they were weirdly placed so that I could fit my bag between my seat and the window, but not under the chair in front of me. I also couldn’t lean on the window to sleep...tear. I ended up sleeping for most of the flight, because I wanted to avoid getting sick. I sat beside a really nice Indian guy, who had worked in Toronto for the last 6 months and was on his way back home. The food was supposed to be really good, but I was only awake for one meal and I couldn’t eat because my stomach was still in knots. The menu looked very good though.
We got to Abu Dhabi, and I was surprised that we made it so fast. MY legs were pretty stiff because I couldn’t get up as much as I probably should have (sorry Krista!) since I didn’t want to wake the guy beside me. I think I will aim for an aisle seat next time around. The view out the window was sand as far as the eye could see. Even the sky seemed sandy.
We went through the airport much faster than I expected. It was about 7 at night, since we had arrived an hour early. We collected our original visas, got an eye scan, and went through customs. Then we loaded it all into a 30 passenger van. Fun times! Lol
We got to the villas where I was informed that all but one of the new teachers would be living. Guess who was the odd one out? YUP. I got to tour around and see what everyone’s places looked like before we took the 5 minute drive over to where I would be living. I live in another villa with 2 other teacher couples, and a bunch of engineers. Oh yay. This was pretty disappointing, as I came here with the understanding that I would be living with other first year teachers, who were in the same boat as me. Now who will I share a car with? Will I be included when everyone else gets together or goes out? It is a bit of a ways to walk, especially in 50+ heat. Plus, I find myself in this apartment, on the top floor (5 stories of sweltering stairway), and I am not fond of the layout either. Of all of the places I saw at the other villa, the one I liked the least is the same unit I got at this villa. I do have a giant empty bedroom for any guests that may come, though.
The principal, Darcy, said that the other villa was completely full, but that he was going to try and see if he could get me in there somehow. I don’t understand why I seem to be the one singled out, or if I just feel that way. I’m trying to be optimistic, and a wonderful note from my friend Dallas, “Don’t doubt in the dark what God has told you in the light” has brought me some comfort.
It’s hard to see the great right now because I am feeling pretty left out. Everyone was still mingling and checking out each other’s places when I left. It is about 3am here now. I was supposed to unpack, but I don’t want to accept that this is where I have to live. I showered and tried to sleep, but only slept for about 3 hours.
I know I should not be sitting around feeling sorry for myself. I have been blessed with this opportunity, and it is happening the way it is for a reason. I just don’t know what that reason is. Also, the people have been really nice. They picked us up, cleaned our places, got us new towels and bedding, and even groceries. (There is Arabic coke in my fridge! Lol). My place is nice, except for the layout (secluded living room= :(). I have a tv with a few satellite channels to keep me company too. Also, they gave me a cell phone to contact them in case I need anything.
There is one other person living in the building here right now. Her name is Donna, a Grade 1 teacher, who lives her with her local husband. She was at the gym when I got here lastnight, but she stopped by afterwards to say hi. I really appreciate her offer for help, but I had just gotten out of the shower when she came by and I’m not about to complain to a stranger.
I wonder how tomorrow is going to go. I know they are coming by around 10. I’m not sure if they are picking me up before or after the others, though. We are going to the school from about 10-1 for a tour of the school. I was told we could go swimming there too. I don’t know if anyone else plans on swimming (bcz I am by myself), but maybe I will bring my suit along.
I wonder what everyone else is doing right now. Are they sleeping? Are they sad? Are they visiting? I am going to talk to the peeps in charge tomorrow and see what they can do about moving me. However, I don’t see it happening soon because there are people’s things in those other apartments. I really wish this had started out differently. I know that God never gives us anything that we can’t handle, but I am really wondering how I will be able to stay here for 10 months alone.
I guess we’ll see what the next days have in store. I’m going to try and relax and get some more sleep before they come to start the busy week in the morning. We will also be getting internet and phones tomorrow, hopefully, so I really look forward to being able to talk to someone.
I miss you guys!
Talk to you soon,
Lonely Laura
I am praying for you! Keep your head up! I hope that God provides you with peace, strength, confidence and friendship! Don't get too down on yourself!
ReplyDeleteI am praying for you too Laura! It is never fun or comforting to feel like the odd one out and feel so alone. Sometimes though, during those times is when we feel closest to Him. He will provide for you Laura. Everything that you need. Keep us posted!
ReplyDelete- Aaren
Laura, This is a tough way to begin, but I am confident that God has a bigger and better plan than what we can envision right now. Know that I am praying for you. Here is a copy of a prayer I received from Anna-Lise today; may it encourage you!
ReplyDeleteblessings & courage to you!
B.
A prayer by Ted Loder as I pray over you this evening:
In The Silence Name Me
Holy One,
untamed
by the names
I give you,
in the silence
name me,
that I may know
who I am,
hear the truth
you have put into me,
trust the love
you have for me,
which you call me to live out
with my sisters and brothers
in your human family.
— Guerillas of Grace: Prayers for the Battle
Oh my Laura, I am sorry to hear that the first few days have been rough. I cannot even imagine having the courage to try something like that let alone living it. I am praying for you like crazy and hoping that things will improve quickly. God shows himself in every situation and I am so excited to hear how he is going to work in yours. Love and hugs to you my friend!
ReplyDeleteErica
I love you Miss Laura! Lonliness can become overwhleming and hard to see through. But you are a strong women of God and He is with you. And we are all thinking and praying for you friend!
ReplyDelete-Dallas