Apparently everything out here runs on UAE time. This was evident from the beginning and is getting to be more and more of a pain in the butt. I still do not have internet at home. I am stealing it right now. This makes planning at home and trying to keep my sanity by being in touch with you guys, really hard. They keep telling me that we will get it today, or tomorrow, and it never happens. However, there is some progress being made.
I set up my classroom (in approx 10 hours, btw). I have 20 kids in my class, although I have only met 16 of them so far. There might me more kids coming to my class, on UAE time. The kids are amazing. They are seriously from all over the world! 3 from Canada, 1 from England, Sweden, Egypt, Austria, Morocco, USA, Greece, Kenya, Jordan, Brazil, and a few from the UAE. Crazy! We have had fun bonding this week and doing lots of group activities. They spontaneously decided to put together this puzzle activity that I gave them and I just stood back as they all worked together to build a giant 2. It was sooo cool. I had a few cryers at the beginning, but they all seemed to have so much fun on Thursday and I think they are settling in.
I got here with the understanding that the Grade 2 year plans were already complete, and that I would just be following along with the other 2 Grade 2 teachers. NOw I discover that they are using these ancient books as their LA program, and that there is not a cohesive structure or team planning in place. I refuse to use those books and so I am going to make my own year plan now. I want to use the 4 blocks method, and do centers, and also have my morning routines with different activities every morning. We need to implement the 6+1 traits program as a school as well. My partners are also inexperienced with these techniques( even more so than I am), and I feel as if I am having to survive as a first year teacher, and teach them. Bah! my VP (or teacher with the make-shift VP job, because we dont actually have a VP), has advised me to do my own planning and to let them do theirs. This is easier said than done when you have people asking for your help, though. I don't know how I am going to have time for all of this. If anyone feels an urge to email resources my way, I would be more than willing to accept!
Some good news is that I got a car with my teaching partner, CIndy, yesterday. It is a blue Mitsubishi Lancer. We will be renting it together to see how it goes for the first bit. I might decide that I want more independence, though. We will see. It is great for now because she was here last year and knows her way around. Now, hopefully I can stay at the school later and have some access to interner to do my work and maybe even keep in touch, lol.
We had our medicals done yesterday which means that we will soon be able to get UAE driving licenses, and internet, and all that good stuff. But everything takes forever here, so don't get too excited.
I found some good mentors if the Grade 3 teachers, but they are organizing their own team, so I feel bad asking too much from them. They have been generous in giving me some resources so far.
I will try to add some pictures soon! Abu dhabi is really pretty cool, well its hot, but neat to see. You should all come visit me, lol.
Ta ta for now. Hopefully this message finds you well!
Laura
Hi Laura Ly,
ReplyDeleteI finally found your blog! Geesh, me and my skills? or lack thereof:)
I am not sure what UAE time means, time difference? Just ask for help if you need it, I am sure they won't mindm you are brand new yet. There are hopefully lotsa people willing to help. I am so very proud of you with the challenge you have taken on. I have all of the faith in the world you will get it done. I am hoping there are people to ask. Good to ask friends in AB for help also.
Take care my dearo
Lotsa Love, Mam
Hi Laura
ReplyDeleteIt's great to hear from you. I can definitely give you a hand with planning, esp on the LA front- do you have some specific questions that I can answer to begin? Will you send me an email so that I have your current address and then I'll forward some stuff on 6 traits.
You are going to do a GREAT job- embrace your leadership skills!
blessings!
B.